Google is known for its outstanding camera and the Google camera AKA GCAM is quite a hero around every android user for enhancing their smartphone’s camera output. With the recent launch of Google Pixel 4A 5G and Google Pixel 5, the company introduced the Google Camera 8.1 with some improved features and functionality. However, this update is only limited to Pixel 4A 5G and Pixel 5 users as of now. Even the recently launched Google Pixel 4A still runs a Gcam 7.6 version. Being a camera fond person and Pixel 4A owner, I tried to install the Google Camera 8.1 version on my Pixel 4A. You can follow the below mention steps to update the Google camera to latest version on your older Pixel smartphones.
Install Google camera 8.1 on Pixel 4A or older Pixel devices
- Go the settings and search for Google Play Services.
- On the bottom, tap on App details and this will open the Google Play store page.
- Here, you have to signup for Beta tester program.
- Once you have enrolled the beta program, uninstall the Google Play services and update the Play service again.
- Now, download the Google Camera 8.1.008.341125824 version from the link provided. Make sure you also download the APKMirror installer from the link.
- Now open the APKMirror installer app, click on Browse file and choose the Google camera 8.1 package.
- Install the package and now the Google Camera 8.1 is successfully installed on your pixel 4A.
You can use this until the official update arrives. Later you can go to play store, uninstall the camera app and install the latest version again. Some of the key features and improvements of Google camera 8.1 are improves UI, dedicated Astro photography toggle, easy to switch video modes, cinematic pan for video stabilization. Also note, the Portrait mode in night sight is limited to Pixel 5 and cannot be seen on other devices.